Mayor Teresa Jacobs Hosts Sixth Annual Youth Leadership Conference
WHAT: To connect students with local government, Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs will host her Sixth Annual Youth Leadership Conference – with nearly 250 student leaders from Orange County Public High Schools.
The 2017 Youth Leadership Conference allows students to learn about county government, how best to participate in community initiatives and how to strengthen their leadership skills. In addition to engaging students on current events and issues of popular interest to teens, the conference covers local government topics such as land use, zoning and code enforcement. The conference also engages the teens in mock public hearings that are based on facts from real cases at Orange County Government.
WHEN: Friday, March 10
8 a.m. – 8 a.m. Opening and welcome
9 a.m. – Workshop Session A
10 a.m. – Workshop Session B
11:30 a.m. – Welcome back with Mayor Jacobs
The event is open to the media, but Mayor Jacobs has limited interview availability before 11:30 a.m. Workshop sessions are open to the media.
WHERE: Valencia College West Campus, Events Center
1800 S Kirkman Road, Orlando, FL 32811
- Nearly 250 Orange County Public High School student leaders participating in mock board hearings, such as code enforcement, land use and zoning hearings at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. workshops.
- Mayor Jacobs will be joined by the following community leaders during the Conference:
- Orange County Supervisor of Elections Bill Cowles
- Chairman of the Orange County School Board Bill Sublette
- Superintendent of Orange County Public Schools Dr. Barbara Jenkins
- Valencia College President Dr. Sandy Shugart
- Valencia College West Campus President Dr. Falecia Williams