Public Relations & Outreach Specialist
Orange County Public Works
Pedestrian Safety Improvements Coming to Pine Hills Road
Project to begin February 8, first of three phases of planned improvements
Orange County, Fla. – Construction on the first of three phases of pedestrian safety improvements on Pine Hills Road is set to begin Wednesday, February 8, 2023 between Figwood Lane and Belco Drive. The planned safety improvements will be constructed in three phases, and will ultimately stretch along Pine Hills Road from West Colonial Drive to Bonnie Brae Circle.
The proposed improvements along Pine Hills Road corridor include:
- Reconstructing Pine Hills Road between West Colonial Drive and Bonnie Brae Circle with a raised median and dedicated left hand turn lanes to replace the existing dual left turn lanes
- Widening the existing 5-foot wide sidewalk on the east side of the road to a 12-foot-wide shared-use path from Silver Star Road to Bonnie Brae Circle as part of a planned extension of the Pine Hills Trail
- Adding a 7-foot-wide dedicated bike lane to Pine Hills Road in each direction of Colonial Drive to Silver Star Road
- Providing intersection improvements for better access to Pine Hills Road from cross streets
- Adding signalized mid-block crossings to provide safer pedestrian access between intersections
- Adding pedestrian lighting for the Pine Hills Trail from Belco Drive to Bonnie Brae Circle
The centerpiece of the road upgrades will be a gateway at the intersection of Pine Hills Road and Silver Star Road, which will include a lighted sign with adjacent decorative knee-height wall at each corner of the intersection. Custom wayfinding signs, landscape and hardscape upgrades, and drainage updates will also be included.
The first phase of the project is estimated to be complete by the end of 2023. Further updates on construction of phases two and three of the project will follow in the coming months. Residents and drivers who use Pine Hills Road regularly should expect temporary traffic lane and sidewalk closures during the duration of the project. Access to businesses and neighborhoods will be maintained during construction.
To learn more about pedestrian safety projects in the Pine Hills neighborhood, visit: https://www.ocfl.net/TrafficTransportation/PineHillsPedestrianBicycleSafetyStudy.aspx